Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

a friend had me arrested for saying I hit her with my shotgun.

She now realizes that she...
a friend had me arrested for saying I hit her with my shotgun. She now realizes that she walked into the butt of the gun while I was going out the door. She tried to talk to the arresting officer and let him know it was just an accident. He has threatened to arrest her for filing a false report. She has a history of being mentally unstable without her medication. She was out of her medication at the time of the incident. She has since seen her Dr. and has found out she was also undermedicated. Does she have anything to worry about?? This was in Randolph county Missouri
11/8/2012
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
They certainly can file charges on her but realistically they rarely do and in a case like this where there are medication issues it would be unusual if they actually filed.

It is definitely illegal to make a false report but this is a crime that requires "mens rea" or an intent to make a false report. Her perception being off would be an excuse and the DA would know it would be a hard case for them to win with the medication defense.

Please ask any follow ups in this thread.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer