Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what are the laws requiring the police to allow you to make…

what are the laws requiring...
what are the laws requiring the police to allow you to make a phone call when arrested
11/8/2012
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello Jacustomer,

Television and movies make many people think that there's a fundamental right to a phone call after an arrest. There is no such thing. If the defendant's a juvenile his parents would likely have to be notified, depending upon the state, but beyond that, allowing a phone call is at the discretion of the police. In many instances the police will allow a phone call depending upon how busy and crowded they are, but they simply don't have to.

Every rule has its exceptions, and if you have a specific situation in mind, you can use the reply tab and I'll expand this answer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD