Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I recently stayed at an all-inclusive resort in the dominican…

Customer Question
I recently stayed at an...
I recently stayed at an all-inclusive resort in the dominican republic. Within 3 hours of being there someone broke into my room and stole my wife and I's Ipads. The hotel representatives were able to show us that no one else had used a card besides us to enter to the room. But I have video evidence showing that you could break into the room within seconds by sliding a card between the door jam and door lock. This ruined our vacation. And the management did nothing to compensate us for our loss. As a matter of fact the management never even talked to us. I was wondering would I be able to try to get anything from them or would it be worth my time? Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/7/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 5 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hi

This is an unfortunate situation. I suggest you can write a letter to your travel agency, if you used one and advise them of what has occured. While the travel agency is not liable for the loss, they certainly can assist by telling the management they will be very cautious as to how they "book" that resort because of apparent criminal activity.

Ask the travel agency to help you get some sort of compensation by them writing that letter. Then you will need to write a letter to the management expressing your disappointment with the situation and that you will never use the resort again, nor will you recommend it to others because of the criminal activity.

Suggest that the management consider paying for your loss.

That really is the only thing you can do, unless you want to travel back to the DR and file a civil lawsuit - which you may only have a remote possibility of winning if there is a contract that says the management will take full responsibilty for any losses. Which I doubt you will find in your contract.

I am sorry for this loss.

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law