Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have 4 convictions on my record 1 felony B and E 1 felony…

I have 4 convictions on...
I have 4 convictions on my record 1 felony B and E 1 felony larceny from a building 1 misdemeanor posession of controlled substance 1 misdemeanor traffic. The first was when I was 17 (28 yrs ago) the others before I turned 21. Is there any chance I can have those sealed or expunged in Michigan
11/7/2012
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is that there is a possibility, but it is not a "right" but a "privilege" and is up to the state.

If you have a conviction, you do not qualify for expungement at the moment under MCL 780.621 - 780.624. You can only request an expungement if there was no conviction or, if it was set aside or pardoned.

So you first have to get it pardoned. You can see the directions and the petition for a pardon here.

Once/if the state agrees to pardon you, then you may then expunge the conviction.

The state will want to see that:
-a long time has passed between then and now;
-that you have had no other issues with the criminal system;
-your good deeds for the community; and
-affidavits from community leaders on your behalf.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law

Thank you for the information. If I could afford it I would continue this conversation.Only recently these issues have become a problem since I had been self-employed for the past 20 years as a drywall subcontractor. when the housing market crashed i went to school and received an Associates degree. When I started to look for a job every lead was a dead end due to my criminal background. Thanks for your help, I am going to do everything I can to clear up my record and hopefully find gainful employment

You are very welcome. Please note that you can ask follow ups to the matter for free of charge. So come back to this thread at any time as needed.

I also had a DUI in Wisconsin about 4 years ago. Should I mention that or not since my only real concern is the convictions in Michigan?

Hello James,

I am afraid you have to, because they will check your record anyhow against NCIC during the consideration, which will have the Wisconsin record on it. I am sorry.

In your opinion would how much would that affect my chances.

Honestly? It may. They will want to see a clean record with no convictions for at least 5 years, sometimes 10. So you may wish to wait another year before filing... or file now and take your chances, of course. You may always refile later if denied now.

I am sorry, I am being honest.

I found out that my offense in Wisconsin was a first offense OWI. It has been over 5 years and has been removed. Would I STILL need to admit that in my pardon?

Hello friend,

Yes, because they would see it anyhow on NCIC, I am afraid. While the record is removed, it is still accessible by law enforcement and government agencies.
Ely, Counselor at Law