Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What is the statue of limitations of a DWI IN the state of…

What is the statue of...
What is the statue of limitations of a DWI IN the state of NC?
11/7/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify:

1. When did the incident occur?

2. When was the ticket issued/charges filed?

September 9 2001

Thank you. Was the ticket issued at the same time?

yes a citacion was issued but never made a court appearance

Thank you. Why didn't you go to court on the ticket?

I was told by my father in law that it had been dropped and never heard anything else about it.I moved some months later to FL. this is the first ive heard about it since 2001

Thank you. From the facts you've described, the statute of limitations is not an issue because the ticket was immediately issued.

Let me be clear: the statute of limitations is not about how much time they have to bring you to trial.

The statute of limitations is about how much time they have to issue the ticket against you.

In your situation, the ticket was timely issued. So, it's still good.

Does that mean all is lost? No, not at all. A different approach is needed. You need to go to court, plead not guilty, and demand a jury trial.

I am willing to bet that the officer and any witnesses are no longer there. The prosecutor won't be able to proceed to trial and your case will get dismissed that way.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

If I have not clarified things, please reply, because I want to make sure that you are satisfied that I have answered all of your concerns!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer

thank you so much

You are most welcome. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback so that we are credited for assisting you.