Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A cop pulled over my brother and said they smelled marijuana…

A cop pulled over my...
A cop pulled over my brother and said they smelled marijuana and he had a ice chest with 9000 dollars in it and they said it smelled like marijuana and they took it ... this happened in nevada on his way to his moms house for a visit ... does he have a legal leg to stand on ? Can he get his money back ? His car is broke down and he was driving a friends car here to get parts to fix it . And now he dosnt have the cash to get the parts and i dont have any to lown him
11/7/2012
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Did they arrest and charge him with anything? Did the police just seize the money and let him go? Did they tell him how he could get it back?

they just seized the money and let him go they gave him a number but no court date and they didnt keep him

Chad, thank you for that additional information. If the money was seized, the police are going to want to see the source/legitimacy of the funds/money, before it is returned. As such, if your brother can show where the $9000 came from, the money should be returned. If the police will not cooperate and return it, it would be at that time he would need to retain a criminal defense attorney, to act on his behalf and demand a return of the money, if they will not do so voluntarily or state a basis for keeping it. It was taken as a result of being thought to be related to drugs or a drugs transaction but the smell of marijuana alone, without any present, may not be enough to justify keeping it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty