How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27435
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Search of a Parolees house. Parolee has a room, use of kitchen and private bathroom.
Condo is shared with mother, who has a private bedroom & bathroom which Parolee does not use. CAN officers go into Mothers bedroom & seize PC, saying parolee has access to it only because door is not kept locked?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Parole can search the parolee's rooms and the common living areas. If a parolee has free run of the house, then any room would be considered the common living area. Given that, parole officers can go into the mother's room and remove contraband that the parolee would not be allowed to own, access or exercise control over.

I know it's not fair, but the down side of living with someone on parole is that because he has no rights, yours will get abridged too unless you take affirmative steps to lock him out of certain areas within the house.

I am sorry for being the bearer of bad news.