Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

ra:IC

Customer Question

Search of a Parolees house. Parolee has a room, use of kitchen and private bathroom.
Condo is shared with mother, who has a private bedroom & bathroom which Parolee does not use. CAN officers go into Mothers bedroom & seize PC, saying parolee has access to it only because door is not kept locked?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Parole can search the parolee's rooms and the common living areas. If a parolee has free run of the house, then any room would be considered the common living area. Given that, parole officers can go into the mother's room and remove contraband that the parolee would not be allowed to own, access or exercise control over.

I know it's not fair, but the down side of living with someone on parole is that because he has no rights, yours will get abridged too unless you take affirmative steps to lock him out of certain areas within the house.

I am sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

.