Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Hi Paul, could you please check to see if the DUI suspension,

Customer Question
and the Habitual Offender can...
Hi Paul, could you please check to see if the DUI suspension, and the Habitual Offender can run at the same time? I looked at all my paperwork,and it shows them running together,but I would like to make sure before I contact DMV. Thanks Dan
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/3/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Actually, it is as I feared in my last answer to you in that it cannot run concurrent with any other suspensions. The purpose of the habitual offender suspension is a punishment and the courts and DMV hold that to have it run concurrent with any other suspension would "frustrate the legislative purpose that the implied consent revocation not run concurrently with any other license suspension or revocation." See: Gouette v. Beecher, DMV Case 96-E-129, (Merrimack, Smukler, 1996).

This is something that is up to the DMV and not the courts, since there is a distinction between the criminal DUI penalties and the administrative DUI penalties and because driving is a privilege and not a right under law, the DMV can give additional penalties than the court gives for the criminal case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer