Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

got dui in montana 12 years ago. went to court pled not guilty

Customer Question

got dui in montana 12 years ago. went to court pled not guilty and then never went back, recieved a letter stating a warrant had been issued. am now older and really want this looked after so i can go to states. what is it going to take to get this cleared up?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, at this point what it is going to take to clear this up is an attorney in Montana where it happened to arrange with the court for them to recall or vacate the warrant to allow you to surrender yourself to the court and work out a plea agreement to get this case disposed of. The attorney may be able to get it reduced to a reckless or careless operation violation since it has been so long since it has happened and witnesses may not be available, but after this long has gone by, the court is going to want something out of this to recall the warrant and resolve the matter. You need to get a DUI attorney in Montana where this happened and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”