Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got a ticket for shining in the month of October and it was

written as a misdemeanor and...
I got a ticket for shining in the month of October and it was written as a misdemeanor and was curious if it will be on my record if I plead guilty or how can I keep it off my record. I had a bow in the vehicle at the same time and he let me go on that so I don't want it to come back and bite me in the ass if I take it to court what should I do
11/3/2012
shurmust
shurmust, Criminal Justice Lawyer

shurmust :

Yes. A criminal misdemeanor will be on your record. I would not suggest pleading guilty until you speak with a local lawyer or a public defender.

shurmust :

A private lawyer may charge you a nominal fee $500.00 to plead it and also help you expunge it from your record. Additionally, a lawyer may be able to review the nature of the stop to see if it was legal. If it was not legal, a lawyer can challenge the stop and get everything thrown out.

shurmust :

Please remember, I only earn credit upon positive feedback. I would like to make sure that I am properly answering your question.

shurmust :

Also, do you have any prior criminal arrests or convictions?

Customer:

no i dont have and prior arrests or convictions.

Customer:

how could a misdemeanor affect me if i did plead guilty because i was at fault i just want to try and get off my record is the biggest thing

shurmust :

A misdemeanor can affect you because it is a crime. Beyond that, even though you have no prior criminal history, a misdemeanor does carry jail time, while highly unlikley.

shurmust :

Additionally, there are fines and the possibility of community service and probation. Also, if you ever apply for a job, loan, school, license, etc. you will have to explain this on your applications, regardless of your outcome.

shurmust :

Considering you have no record, you may be able complete a pre-trial diversion program.

shurmust :

This is what you would want to ask the Court, Public Defender or a private attorney. This allows you to take a couple of classes and at the end, your charge gets dismissed.

shurmust :

Most jurisdictions have this program to encourage people to resolve their case. This would be perfect for you if it is offered.

shurmust :

If it is not offered, hiring a private attorney ($500) or a public defender $50.00, either one may be able to look into defenses that may preclude the officer from legally stopping you. Should all of this fail, you need to understand the maximum and minimum penalties.

shurmust :

Does this answer your question? If not, please let me know.

Customer:

dang dnr officers they suck

shurmust
shurmust, Criminal Justice Lawyer
shurmust
shurmust
shurmust, Criminal Justice Lawyer