Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i was on a artists web site, and the group of artists said…

i was on a artists...
i was on a artists web site, and the group of artists said they did not like me, and they would notify stores about a product I am developing, telling the stores not to carry it. They didn't do that yet, but they said they would, leading to loss for me.
Anywhere I can file a complaint? Can you trell me laws that cover this and protect my civil rights?
11/2/2012
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

JD 1992 :

How did them threatening to tell stores not to carry a product cause you to have a loss?

Customer:

I don't have loss - it was a hypothetical - like to know how I can protect myself against, when I bring product out.

JD 1992 :

The answer really depends on what they do. If they tell lies about you or your product then you can sue them for slander or libel or possibly interference with a contractual relationship.

JD 1992 :

Your civil rights aren't an issue here because your civil rights are only "protected" against action by the government, not by a private citizen.

Customer:

ok - any civil rights issues?

Customer:

oh saw last part

Customer:

difficult to pin down - they nthrteatened to pass word around I was exploiting artists, or thre like.

JD 1992 :

If they actually do it then a slander/libel action is the most likely lawsuit.

Customer:

finally - can i put them on notice?

JD 1992 :

Sure. You can send them a cease and desist letter, there are examples on the internet, just be sure and phrase it to include not only what they have said but also anything they may say in the future.

Customer:

OK thanks John B

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer