Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

A NYC bus driver tried to cut me off to avoid a parked car…

A NYC bus driver tried...
A NYC bus driver tried to cut me off to avoid a parked car and forced me into on-coming traffic. I was almost killed. He finally stopped and I was able to get back in my lane without injury to myself or damage rto my car. Can I sue?
11/2/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am very sorry to learn of your experience. I understand how incredibly terrifying it had to be.

In order to sue, you would have to have damage to your car or actual physical injury. One cannot successfully sue for fright.

I'm glad to learn that you are okay.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but you deserve a candid answer. I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Replyf tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Bad Service" or "Poor Service," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for an honest answer. I suppose I should be happy that I wasn't hurt and that there was no damage. I am definitely going to file a complaint with the MTA.
And you most certainly can do that. Best wishes! I look forward to your positive rating!

~~ J.B.