Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i just found out that my public defender attny appointed to…

i just found out that...
i just found out that my public defender attny appointed to me, was a prosecution attny against me 7 years ago. is this reason for a mistrial?
11/2/2012
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer

Legal-Guru :

Are you in the middle of a jury trial right now?

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

hello

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

hello

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

is someone going to answer my question?

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

Asked Today at 9:13 - Awaiting Customer Action

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

i don't understand why this is on the screen

JACUSTOMER-nof3j15q- :

i don't know what action i am supposed to do, so i will click save and exit

Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Thanks for using Pearl.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you today.rial?

Are you currently in trial?

If not, where are you in the process---has your attorney just been appointed? Are you in the pre-trial stage?

How did you find out that your attorney previously prosecuted you? Does your attorney remember you? And, what was the outcome of that case?

Thanks
sorry....I hit the wrong key.

My dad remembered her name and he told me. My attny was appointed right after my incident about 5 months ago. Since I have an unusual last name, I find it hard to believe she did not remember me. Especially since I went over each of my run ins with the courts. I was given 5 months in prison and another strike.

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there.

-

I notice that your prior expert opted out. If this matter of your attorney having prosecuted you seven years ago had been disclosed at the beginning of your case then a new attorney almost certainly would have been appointed at that time to eliminate even the smallest appearance of a conflict of interest. At this point because you have gone through the adjudication process with her as your attorney and the matter was not presented to the court prior to your sentencing you must seek out another lawyer (public defender or another lawyer through your county legal aid services) to bring forth a motion to vacate the prior conviction and sentence due to a conflict of interest and there is a good chance that the current charge and sentence will be set aside and retried because of this matter. There is always a slight chance that the judge might claim that what happened was "harmless error" -- which means that the judge might claim that she should have disclosed this information to you and given you the chance to get another attorney because of the apparent conflict but because the judge may claim that he would not have decided the case any differently or sentenced you any differently if you had a different lawyer then the judge will claim harmless error and let the case and sentence stand. If that happens, your new lawyer should appeal the matter to the appeals court and let a higher court judge decide if what the lower court judge did was appropriate and even if there would have been no real change in the sentencing was it still a violation of conflict of interest rules and should the case be sent back to the trial court for retrial and resentencing. Overall, I do believe that you have a decent chance of having at least the sentencing set aside because of this apparent conflict of interest but you do need to get another attorney to look at this issue and file this with the court.

-

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be given credit for my time in assisting you. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below or the accept button below (if that is what is appearing). THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Hello again --
-
Do you have any more questions for me? If not can you PLEASE press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face underneath the ANSWER box above so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face under the answer box above (I do not receive a paycheck and this is not a hobby for me it is how I earn a living in a bad economy). I really do appreciate your good or excellent rating of my answer and I will be happy to answer additional follow up questions even after you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face above to pay me for my time. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!!
-
MARY