Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Hello, I am a single father of three, paying child support…

Hello, I am a single...
Hello, I am a single father of three, paying child support and everything so am on a tight budget.
On sept. 1st I was at my sons birthday party, it was a very stressful day because his mother wanted everything to be perfect for the guests that would arrive later. Long story short, we ended up arguing and she told me to leave. Before I did, I threw a key down on the counter which bounced and broke a coffee pot. I left, she called the police. I have since payed restitution to her.
I am being charged with 'CRIMINAL MISCHIEF 76-6-106(2)(C)', and 3 counts of 'COMMISSION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THE PRESENCE OF A CHILD 76-5-109.1(2)(c), because my children were almost in the room.
I really can't afford an attorney, this is my first offense, I have no criminal record, what should I do?
11/1/2012
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hi

This is a very unfortunate situation.

Those charges are pretty serious and you don't want to have convictions of this nature on your record.

I suggest you consult with the Public Defender, if you cannot afford a private attorney and try to get them dismissed or at least place on some sort of inactive docket which means you will not be prosecuted now, but if there are more situations of this nature, this one can be brought up for prosecution

Otherwise, if you try to defend yourself, I suggest there is a chance you will have a Domestic Violence on your record and that will be very difficult to overcome in many situations.

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law