Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

can a person that was charged with a felon for drugs in 1992…

can a person that was...
can a person that was charged with a felon for drugs in 1992 be allowed to carry a gun for hunting?
11/1/2012
Under NC law, the NC Supreme Court has held that the law banning all felons from owning all guns including hunting was unreasonable. See: Britt v. State (488A07). The Court held that
N.C. Gen. Statute § 14-415.1 “violated his right to due process, equal protection under state and federal constitutions and his Second Amendment right to bear arms.” Thus, under the current status of the NC law, a convicted felon on a non-violent felony, pursuant to certain qualifications, can indeed have a rifle or shotgun for hunting pursuant to getting a court order restoring those rights. See: NC Gun Rights.

G.S. 14-415.4 subsequent to the Britt ruling has the qualifications and restoration procedures. The law allows the district court in the district where the person resides to hear your petition for restoration of your gun rights, but restoration does not constitute an expunction or pardon.

To file for restoration HOWEVER, you must have no more than one conviction for a “nonviolent felony,” which does not include any Class A, B1, or B2 felony or any Class C through I felony that involves an assault as an essential element, possession or use of a firearm or deadly weapon as an essential or nonessential element, or other specified circumstances.

To obtain restoration, you must have had their civil rights restored for at least 20 years, which typically occurs automatically under G.S. 13-1 following your completion of all terms of your sentence.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”