Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Good Morning Paul, What is NY States employer/employee email

Customer Question

Good Morning Paul, What is NY State's employer/employee email privacy law? i.e. I worked for a start up hedge fund which I do not believe has any policy in place. Is it illegal for my former partner/employer to go through my work email to try and get dirt on me to use against me (which there won't be)? I know that one of them forwarded an old email to someone else within the company to try and twist the truth. Is this legal and is this considered tortuous interference?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Legally, the employee has no right to privacy in emails sent or received on the employer's computer system. Thus, anything you send or anything you receive on the company email system AND anything you do on any employer computer or on the employer network may be monitored or reviewed by the employer and the NY courts hold that because the employer owns the system, they have the right to see everything done on the system and the employee is unreasonable to expect any privacy on there.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”