How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is supporting me in domestic violence case how should

This answer was rated:

My wife is supporting me in domestic violence case how should we defend. The incident took place on 31st july and I had hit her on that day. The cops have taken pictures and statement from her
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. When is the next court date scheduled for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Currently there is an arrest warrant and bailbonds have to provide a letter stating the reasons (hospitalisation) of my missing the date.

Thank you. When do you plan to turn yourself in on the warrant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

explaining my disease and the situation at that , can that help in getting a aquittal

First things, first: when do you plan to go to court to turn yourself in on the warrant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dec. begining

Why wait so long?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am currently in India and I misplaced my passport, once my passport is available I can travel back

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can I call you

I see, thank you. Unfortunately, a telephone consult is not possible. Do you wish to continue with this thread?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

please explain more on how to defend, what should we say medical situation or explain a misunderstanding between the cops and my wife.

Procedurally, nothing can be done until you return to the States, go to court on the warrant, plead not guilty and demand a trial. Be sure to bring proof of the hospitalization with you to court.

The judge will schedule a trial on a different date.

Your wife will have the chance to meet with the local prosecutor. That's when she can explain what happened and why she wants the charges to be dropped. It's for the prosecutor to dismiss the charges.

You may find it helpful to have a local criminal defense attorney to go to court with you to negotiate with the prosecutor.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what should be the strategy hospitalisation or misunderstanding with cops. is it that I will meet the judge first and then she will get a chance to meet the prosecutor later. Can she talk to the prosecutor in advance.

can you provide some sample replies/notes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what are the chances of acquittal and is there possibility of a punishment

You will meet the judge first for the arraignment. You just explain the hospitalization.

At a different day, your wife will have the chance to meet with the prosecutor.

The prosecutor will not talk with her before you are arraigned.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to provide meaningful notes. Each prosecutor and judge is different. If you're not comfortable going to court by yourself, you should hire a local attorney to go to court with you.

I do not know if the prosecutor will grant your wife's request or not. I am not able to review your actual court and police file.

~~ J.B