How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Over 13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

16 yr old charged with fleeing a officer in MN . He said he

This answer was rated:

16 yr old charged with fleeing a officer in MN . He said he didn't see him. What's going to happen?
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Well, in this situation it is going to depend entirely on what happened BEFORE he fled, and his credibility in telling his story that he didn't see him. If something criminal may have taken place prior, then his story is less believable. If he was minding his own business and just didn't see the cop, he should tell the truth and hope that it is enough to get him off.

The public defender is fine, unless you can afford to hire another lawyer. This is a very minor offense and if his story is true then hopefully it will be resolved quickly and without penalty.

Take care,

My answer is meant to help educate you about the law, and I promise to give you the best answer possible. If you don’t accept my answer, or you choose to rate my answer lower than the middle rating, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer, I just wanted you to be aware of how your money is distributed in this system.

To contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To KimberlyLaw").

Thanks and take care!

KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience: Over 13 years of experience practicing law.
KimberlyLaw and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello Jacustomer,

In Minnesota, Fleeing an Officer is not a very minor offense. It happens to be a felony charge, and has a maximum penalty of three years of prison. See link.

Fortunately, your son is still a juvenile and this is not the sort of offense that will likely get transferred to adult court, but he very much needs a lawyer. If you can afford one, he should have a private lawyer, because he would not be eligible for a free one. If you cannot, many public defenders are excellent lawyers. All will know the worth and weight of this case from seeing the court papers and hearing from your son, and should be able to handle the matter more than competently. If the public defender does not seem to be doing his or her job, you can contact his supervisor and that should help. If it doesn't, the judge will generally make one change of appointed counsel if there's a problem between a defendant and his client, if the defendant asks for a new one.