CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Why do people with drug charges get different sentences

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. What type of drugs are you asking about and does the defendant have a prior criminal history?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Conspiracy to manufacter,conspiracy to manufacter, and trafficking , yes he does but no drug charges

Can you please be more specific in regard to your question and how it related to what he is charged with? Has the State made an offer which he thinks is unreasonable? Is he facing mandatory time?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Conspiracy to manufacter,conspiracy to manufacter, and trafficking , yes he does but no drug charges yes they told him 7 yrs min - man If two people are charge with these same charges how can they sentence one person 7yrs- min- man and the other person gets 2yrs probation

Thank you for that additional information. Any type pf mandatory minimum sentence would need to be waived by the State, if they are going to deviate from it. This can be done if the defendant is going to cooperate with the State or Police and is part of a plea deal. Moreover, the State may have amended the charges for the other defendant, pending on the facts surrounding the case and the likelihood of conviction at trial. The State has a score sheet which they fill out and give to the defendant, which shows what they are facing. Here is a copy of it and how it is calculated. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/sen_cpcm/cpc_manual.pdf In addition, the prior criminal history is factored in as well. His attorney can certainly look in the court file and see if different charges were filed against the co-defendant and/or if a plea was taken and the basis for it, if disclosed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Hi Charity. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!