How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a Class 3 felony theft in 1991, which i

Customer Question

I was charged with a Class 3 felony theft in 1991, which i recieved an unconditional discharge for two years. I completed this in 1993. In 2006 I went through the pardon process from the govonor if Illinios and recieved my pardon. I became a police office and recieved my first FOID card. I had to renew my foid card at the beginning of 2012, now the state denid my application due to the charge in 1991. I sent them my Pardon leter which they requested and still not received the card. Any thoughts of what I should do next?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

How long has it been since you sent your pardon letter?

Did you send your letter to a specific person? If so, do you know the department the person is in and/or his/her title?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I sent it a sergeant of the Illinois star police in the foid card department
and have been getting the run around from him. He was assigned my case
Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tracey,

You may wish to find out who the head of the FOID department is and contact him/her. Let him/her know of your situation and who the person is who has been assigned to your case. It may be that the person assigned to your case has "misplaced" your information. You should let the head of the department know of the urgency that you receive your FOID card so that you can continue your work as a police officer.

You should ask the head of the department if you can fax the required information to him/her so that the matter may be resolved ASAP.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem is that when I call I just get the run around where nobody helps and I can get beyond this sergeant and he knows that I am a police officer. Can they still deny the foid card even though I have been pardoned
Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.
Did you receive an "expungement" after you obtained the pardon?