TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

Was arrested for possession with intent to distribute. This

Was arrested for possession with intent to distribute. This is my first offense. Cop stated he have DA drop charges if I served as a police informant. Is that legal? COuld that be dangerous for me?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

To answer your first question, yes, this is legal. In fact, police and district attorneys frequently work together to develop information on drug trafficking.

Customer:

SO they have the power to drop all charges against me if I act as informant? WOuld I have to testify against others?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes. The DA has the power to drop charges.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You would possibly have to testify against others, depending on what happens.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you help them make a case, and the person want to go to trial, you may be called on to testify. That all depends on what you do, but if you decide to help, you should be prepared for that situation.

Customer:

What could possible sentence be if I did NOT take this offer and just went to court?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

It depends on the amount of drugs and drug type. Also, it depends on what kind of deal the DA is willing to offer you. It could range from probation to several years in prison.

Customer:

Just 12 grams marijuana..If I received probation, does that mean I have a felony on my record?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

That sounds like a probation case, but, yes, a felony would be on your record.

Customer:

Any way to expunge that? Trying to join the military.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If it is a straight conviction, no, you can't get it expunged. However, there are types of probation that do not result in a conviction, which can be expunged. You should discuss those options with any attorney you are considering hiring.

Customer:

Thanks!