How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Criminal law experience in both JAG and the civilian sector.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My federal sentence was terminated in 2003. It began in 1994

This answer was rated:

My federal sentence was terminated in 2003. It began in 1994 as a 60 month sentence. I was ordered to pay 40,000.00 in restitution. Now in 2012 on sep. 25 I received a letter demanding payment..Or produce documents and finacianl records to set up payment plans. No statue of limitations for this?
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

A statute of limitations concerns how long the government has to file a criminal charge or how long a person has to file a civil charge. It is meant to keep a person from having to defend against a claim when all the potential evidence is stale.

Here, the state has already filed the charges, so there isn't a statute of limitations involved. They already met that requirement and you already had the chance to defend, in your original trial.

So no, there is not a statute of limitations for this.
Allen M., Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you