Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I fired my partner for cause (I owned 90% of the company) on

10/30/2007. His sister was...
I fired my partner for cause (I owned 90% of the company) on 10/30/2007. His sister was my controller at the time. She had this job for app 13 years. His sister stayed at the company until 1/28/2008. I found out about a year later after reviewing financial transactions and looking through a lot of records that she (controller and in charge of personnel) had terminated her brothers employment at the company on 9/29/2007 and secretely put him on a consulting agreement that was never signed or approved by me. I had refused to sign this agreement with him previously. There was and is no signed contract. He used this termination record his sister secretely did to access his 401K without penalty.

She paid him $11,500 in consulting fees. She also paid him a bit more then $16,000 through the payroll system for no reason that I can find at all. It was not related to salary as he had received all of that and we have no severance agreements at all with anyone in the company.

Timeline:

9/29/07 Partners sister termionates brother from company payroll system. This makes partner elegible to collect 401K savings without tax withholding. He continues to work normally and I am unaware of any changes.

10/15 app. He receives all normal salary.

10/20 app. He receives first check for app. $8,000 through payroll system.

10/27 app. He receives 2nd check for app. $8,000 through payroll system.

10/28/07 I fire him for cause. He leaves the plant

11/2/07 app. He emails his sister and asks for the consulting money of $11,500. She pays him.

There was and is no signed consulting agreement. He initiated his request to be paid through an email he sent only to his sister. She paid him. There is also no basis of the $16,000 payroll transaction through any severance agreement or other contract at all. Just the fact that his sister controlled the payroll system and transacted it secretely. I found out about these things well after the fact as a result of how well she hid her actions.
9/3/2012
They are likely going to tell you that this is a civil matter and you will have to file suit against him and his sister for the illegal actions and embezzlement of money from the company without any authority. You have a civil cause of action against them, even if the police refuse to pursue any criminal case against them. The concealment of the actions is grounds for tolling of any statute of limitations of the case and the statute begins to run from the date you discovered the improper payments from the company.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer