How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

thank you that is clear. You mentioned that I can have up to

This answer was rated:

thank you that is clear. You mentioned that I can have up to one year of jail but this is almost not at all possible right. Even if the judge does not like France and want to take me as an example? Can an AD be very tough with me?
Any way I will take a lawyer. what is UCIS? the police at the border?
What about my visa? no chance to loose it?
Anyway, there is also something that can be of help for me. I am taking antidepressant since I am in the US and sleeping peels because of stress. Would that help to defense the disorder cause?
Are you free to defend me the 10th of October? how much will that cost to do so?
Hi Jacustomer,

Unfortunately, Experts here at JustAnswer are not allowed to represent customers on their pending cases. It's prohibited by the site's terms of service. So I am unable to take your case.

I can say, however, that yours is not a difficult case to handle, and you should have no problem reaching one of the dispositions that I mentioned above with just about any lawyer. If you are not sure where you can find a criminal lawyer, you can contact the New York Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $35 for the referral which includes a half hour free consultation with the lawyer. Just let the lawyer know that you are here on a visa (he will likely figure that out anyway but don't leave it to chance) and that you want to make sure you do nothing to negatively affect your status.

There is almost no possibility of your getting offered only the misdemeanor and no possibility of jail on a very first non-violent criminal offense. I say almost because if you don't come to court on your court date, then a warrant will issue for your arrest and would affect the outcome of your case. But if you are where you should be -- in court -- on the day you must appear, this should be fine.

When you walk into NY's Criminal Court and see how many people are there charged with crimes, you will find out that the judge's #1 consideration is getting a case off of his calendar so he won't have to deal with it again. The City system gets tremendous volume. And, of course, we are also a melting pot and there are people from all backgrounds and nationalities. However the judge and DA may feel about French politics should have no effect on your case.

There will be no chance of losing your visa so long as you don't plead guilty to the misdemeanor.

USCIS stands for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. You will always have to disclose your arrest and the disposition to USCIS when they ask you about your criminal history. Once you do that, it should be fine, since it is not a crime.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
- ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX better
Do you have an idea of much will this cost regarding the fees of the lawyer and regarding the potential fines from
The court (price tag swap of 74 dollars)?
There is no possibilty for me to advance the judgement so that i can be relief early?
Lastly, what is your advice on how to choose a
Good lawyer. Ok i will get the lawyer contact details but how to choose
One that is good? What should i ask? I knowy
Case is very small and easy but you know
Like me that there are very good lawyers and less good one

Thanks for the help and it is a pity that i cannot take you.
Your answer were very clear

The fine could be no more than $250 and will likely be less as a first offense. You would not have to pay it at the time, though if you could you'd never have to come back again. When you call the Bar Association's Referral service, they will tell you the going rate for an appearance like this in Manhattan. It shouldn't be too much as it will probably only take one appearance.

A lawyer who's got at least 3 years of experience and who is easy to talk to and get along with is more than good enough for something like this. I'd give you different criteria if you were going to try the case, but basically he's going to be there just to make sure that you won't end up with a criminal record and that you won't say or do anything that will jeopardize your status.

I'm a believer in being overcautious with criminal cases because they can have lifetime repercussions. This is one kind of matter that will probably come out the same with or without one, but if anything at all looks like a problem, it's best to have a lawyer on the spot.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When i was with the secuity guys they wrote a report on me make me sign it and gave it to thr policemen. I dont even know what there is in it. If i signed something that i swap the tag, is it harmful for my case or it changes nothing?
I was in shocked as i said before i dont know what i have signed. I know i have sign something saying i won tbe able to go to the department store for 7 years but otherwise i really dony know, those guys were pretty tough with me.

Thank you again for everything. This is situation is simply the weirdest thing of my life


Yes, criminal justice system is probably a very different world from anything that you are accustomed to. You probably signed a confession. That will only cause you a problem if you wish to fight this case because it could be produced at your trial and shown to a jury.

But because there will be no jury, and because you won't be pleading to petit larceny but to something less, like the disorderly conduct or the trespass, it should not come back to haunt you.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you