How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was charged with a felony completed my probation and was

This answer was rated:

i was charged with a felony completed my probation and was lowered to a high court misdemeanor arrest not conviction in michigan. under mcl 771.1 can i own a gun-purchase a gun?


If you can recall, was it an actual probation? Or did the court impose conditions that had to be followed and completed before the consideration would be given to reduce the felony?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it was probation 12months which i got off in 10 because i did everything asked of me. it shows up as an arrest but not a conviction. but the original charge was a felony


If there is no conviction, then yes, you can purchase, own a firearm. The question on the application pertains to convictions and it will ask, have you ever been convicted of a Felony to which you can honestly answer no.

It may also ask if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor that carried a potential sentence of MORE than one year, and on that one you can also honestly answer NO. Because again, there is no conviction.

Arrests are not findings of guilt. They are only going on convictions.

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you.

Samuel II and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you