How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A business partner that Ive been doing business with for sometime

This answer was rated:

A business partner that I've been doing business with for sometime then to pay me for some of the debt they owe me they agree to give me a car to sell to recoup some of my debt that he owes me. Then after he signs the title, gives me the car and i sell it we get in an argument and he reneges and says that wasn't the agreement. He is alleging i was supposed to give all the money back to him. I have been charged with felony embezzlement because he 'TRUSTED' the car to me. Isn't there some case-law to represent that people doing business together in the recent past should be in civil court?
Are you asking if there is case law saying that you can't be charged with a criminal act by someone you've done business with recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes thats basically it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes is there anything that says it should be decided in civil court NOT criminal especially if it involves a monetary arrangement!

No. Criminal and civil courts are completely separate and there is no type of agreement or transaction which would keep the police or the DA from filing criminal charges if they choose to do so.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions