Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was convicted of a felony around 20 years ago for selling

I was convicted of a felony around 20 years ago for selling a small bag of weed to a cop in pa. i now live in va and am wondering if it is possible to get my voting and gun rights restored.

Hi

This is a situation where you will need to get a Pardon from the Governor of PA to make you eligible to then Petition the Court to have your records expunged.

Once there is an expunction of the record, then you would be eligible to purchase a firearm, because your crime will not appear on your record.

As to your voting rights, you have those rights, as under PA law an offender's rights to vote are restored immediately upon release from prison. So, even though you now live in VA, you should not be disenfranchised from your vote. All you need to do is go to the Board of Elections in your county and register.

You may click here for more information on applying for the Pardon via the PA Governor for your firearm rights to be restored. But don't forget you will also then have to Petition the Court of Conviction to have the matter erased from your record

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where is it that I go or click on for more information on applying for the Pardon via the PA Governor for your firearm rights to be restored. I do not see any link

Thanks

Hi

Apologies. Here is the link You will need to call the Governor's office and request the application

Thank you.