Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a strong feeling one of my neighbors is coming into

my house during the day...
I have a strong feeling one of my neighbors is coming into my house during the day and stealing money. She has cared for my kids for several years so she has my garage code to enter. What could she be charged with if sh was caught?
9/1/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

She could be charged with the crime of burglary. There are two different forms which may apply.

There is Breaking and Entering With Intent to Commit Larceny. This offense is punishable by one to 20 years imprisonment, confinement in jail for up to 12 months, and/or a fine of not more than $2,500.

The other form of statutory burglary is Breaking and Entering A Dwelling House with Intent to Commit A Misdemeanor Other than Trespass or Assault and Battery. The punishment for this offense is one to 5 years of imprisonment, confinement in jail for up to 12 months, and/or a fine of not more than $2,500.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer