Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

My 18 year old son was visiting a friend at JMU a college in

My 18 year old son was visiting a friend at JMU a college in VA. He went to a party and was drinking. His friends didn't want to take him back to their dorm for fear they would get in trouble because the alcohol was affecting him more than them. He left the party and was walking with another student going to his apartment (a couple blocks from the party) to sleep it off. On the way to the apartment they were stopped by the police and my son not the other student was taken to jail and charged with underage drinking and public intoxication. Should we get a lawyer and should we get one local to us or local to the JMU college? He did spend the night in jail.
It's a good idea to get a lawyer to make sure he receives a disposition that can be expunged off of his record. That would be beneficial once he graduates and begins looking for employment.

I suggest getting a lawyer close to the college for a couple of reasons. (1) A lawyer local to that area should know the local practices and customs, as well as, the local prosecutors and judges. (2) Hiring a lawyer who will have to drive a long distance to get there is likely to be considerably more expensive because they have to factor in the travel time there and back into their fee.

Good luck to you and your son. Remember this is a very typical charge for college students and much less serious than a DUI/DWI.