How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of drug possion in NY in 1975...plea deal....I

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of drug possion in NY in 1975...plea deal....I served 3 years in prison....I was paroled to Florida immediatly ( had a job waiting for me).....a few months later I was set free of any parole...
...was my rights restored..not sure from NY or Florida?......but not I live in Colorado in the mtns...I want to get a shotgun for protection from bears, wolves and other animals...It is a way-out-of-the-way mountain community way up in the Rockies
Is my rights restored automatically ( vote and own a shotgun) restored
Hello Jacustomer,

Although you were paroled to Florida, as your crime was committed in New York and you were sentenced in New York, New York never loses jurisdiction of the case. Had you violated the terms of your parole in Florida, you would have been returned to New York to have your hearing and serve your time.

So it's New York that has to grant you the return of your civil rights. Your right to vote was restored when you were released from parole. For the restoration of all other matters you would need a pardon from the governor of New York (almost impossible) or you would need to get yourself a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabiilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. There can be applied for through the Department of Parole. Here is the application form.

The Certificate of Good Conduct will restore your right to sit on a jury, to run for office AND -- but only if explicitly granted when you get it back -- your gun rights. The Certificate of relief will not restore your right to run for office and will not give you back full gun rights. (and without that, the Federal government won't restore your federal rights).

You don't need a lawyer to fill out the form for you. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will go over everything you sent me tomorrow and will finish anything more I have to do to complete this.....from what I read real quick it looks just fine but I have to go now and will finish tomorrow morning...I am now at P. Time Zone...thank you...


I was asleep for the night by the time this came through. Look it over and if there's something you don't understand, let me know. The Certificate of Relief is the one that fits your criminal history better, but if you want your rights completely restored, including your gun rights, you need the certificate of good conduct. If the only trouble you've been in was in 1975, it would seem to me that you stand a very good chance, at least compared to most of the applicants I've seen.

I wish you good luck!
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you