How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27097
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone makes a false statement about someone and it is

This answer was rated:

If someone makes a false statement about someone and it is made to their employer in order to cause problems for that person, what can be done legally?
Hello Jacustomer,

Assuming that the statement is untrue and cost the worker his job and financial losses, the complainant may have a civil suit for defamation of character. Broadly for a suit to be viable, the defendant would have to publish a statement (in the sense of telling it to someone and makiing it publicly known) which is about the plaintiff which causes him harm and to have done so with some degree of negligence or malice. The statement can't be an opinion. It must be a fact that can be checked out one way or the other.

As for the criminal side of it, since that's where you posted this, just telling someone a lie is not, in and of itself, a crime even if it gets someone else in trouble. If he tells it to a police officer and as a result they make an investigation or an arrest of the victim of the lie, that would be a crime. If he swears it on the stand, that would be a crime too. If the liar pretends he's someone else in order to make the lie more convincing, then that would be criminal fraud and he could be prosecuted.
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions