JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I am applying for a NJ firearm purchase permit. The question

Customer Question

I am applying for a NJ firearm purchase permit. The question of whether you have been adjudicated a juvenile is on the application. I was in trouble as a teen as I associated with others caught for breaking and entering. I am not sure whether I was "adjudicated a delinquent". This occurred 33 years ago. I did some community service at the time. I was also under the understanding that after a period of time, records of any juvenile offenses would be expunged. I've since been in the military for 30 years. The offenses occurred in the same town for which I am making the application. I don't want to answer yes as I am not sure whether I was adjudicated? Should I just answer no? If I answer yes, will the application for a firearm be denied?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify:

1. Have you contacted the court that handled the case to see what their records show?

2. Have you requested and obtained a copy of your criminal history from the state where this incident occurred?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No to both questions.

Thank you.

From what you've described, you have been adjudicated as a juvenile. To confirm to the contrary, you will need to contact the court that handled the case to see what their records show and you will have to obtain a copy of your criminal history from the state where this incident occurred.

If the court has no record of the matter and if nothing appears on your criminal history, then you will be in a position to safely answer "no" to the question.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Excellent service, appropriate answer for info provided. I went with honesty and said yes rather than denial. The interviewer said it was not grounds for denial of the permit. He also said that being so old , they would probably not find the records anyway. Irony of it is, the interviewer was a retired police officer who is now a civilian working for the police dept. I believe he made the arrest back in 1980. Thank you for your assistance.

You are very welcome. Glad to learn that it all worked out for you!

I hope that I've earned a positive rating!