Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do I file charges against someone who had POA to repair my home from storm damage but

took the insurance money (over...
How do I file charges against someone who had POA to repair my home from storm damage but took the insurance money (over $2000)and did not pay the contractor?
Also, do I have a civil case to retrieve the money? Damages?
8/27/2012
Michael J, Esq.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Most likely, this would be a civil issue, not a criminal issue. Since the person had a POA, they had the right to receive the money on your behalf. However, once they had it, they misappropriated it. Your remedy would be to sue the person in civil court. You absolutely have a case against this person and you should recover your money + interest (at your state's level) + court costs + the cost of your attorney possibly.

Michael J, Esq. :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

So there is no criminal case for larceny?

Michael J, Esq. :

I don't believe so. They didn't steal the money from your possession, they misappropriated it when they had the right to receive it on your behalf. That would most likely fall under civil.

Customer:

Alright, thank you. In the civil case I should be able to get back more than what she stole or else what kind of punishment is that?

Michael J, Esq. :

No, you'll just be able to get back what was stolen + court costs and attorneys fees.

Customer:

Better than nothing. Thanks

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer