Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is viewing bestiality porn images and videos illegal in Michigan?

Is it illegal to view...

Is it illegal to view images and videos of bestiality pornography in the state of Michigan? I looked at something twice on one occasion, but nothing was downloaded.  I want to discuss it with my therapist, and am wondering if she will have to report me to the authorities?  The act in question was of a dog and a woman.

8/21/2012
Stevexo
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney

I am qualified in Criminal Law, 30 years of Criminal Defense trial work.

I have had this asked quite often, and as I use to run a sexual offender division at the Public Defenders office, I do know these laws. Pornography is not illegal unless it is child pornography. no matter how distasteful bestiality might be to some people, an adult is free to view these type of pictures all they want, as long as it does not involve children. I would agree that if a therapist was told about abuse of the elderly or child sexual abuse, it would have to be reported. Any therapist who reported a person who watched bestiality should have their license revoked. Not only is this not a sickness and legal, it does not form the basis of any type of crime that they should report. Actually what you are doing is actually very common, and is not an illness or illegal. You have done nothing from a legal stand point that is the least bit a crime or that a person would need to report.

Thanks for your quick answer. I googled this earlier and learned that bestiaility is a felony in Michigan. So, that is just related to the act itself? Or the production/distribution/possession of the pornography? The viewing of bestiality pornography in Michigan is legal? This was a one time thing that I want to discuss with my therapist, but I am so afraid of being reported to the police and prosecuted.

This is the problem with people reading the law. You could not have read that it is a felony, or any other crime for a person in Mich. to view beastality photos or films etc. I do see many people on the inter net state it is illegal to view in the US and also Mich. I also notice that any of the people that state this, never reference a statute or a case, as they do not exist. It is not illegal to view beastality pictures generally, that does not mean you can engage in it, as that is a felony, nor can you sell it, distribute it or make it. But sitting in your home watching it on your computer might be weird to some, but does not violate any state or federal laws. You are correct that in Mich, if you engage in it that is a felony. From your statement to me I had no fear that you would tell your doctor you had sex with an animal or anything similar to this. You are asking about viewing it, and I feel very confident telling you it is legal in the US and specifically in Mich. There would be no reason your therapist would report you for this, as it is not a crime, and not a reportable incident. In fact who knows, maybe she watches it. If she would report, this you could sue her for breach of the therapist privilege.

Good Luck.

Stevexo
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Stevexo
Stevexo
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney