Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

At which point in a criminal trial is someone technically "convicted"?

At which point in a criminal trial is someone technically "convicted"? For example, my friend has entered a plea of no contest to two misdemeanor charges, but as part of the plea bargain was given a deferred entry of judgement. He has a year to complete some classes, after which he will be able to withdraw his plea on one of the charges.

Has he technically been convicted of the charges he pled to? He hasn't technically gone to a seperate sentencing trial, but did have some protective orders imposed against him, his probation extended, and the classes ordered. This seems like a sentence to me. The reason I ask is we're trying to find out how his criminal situation affects a family law case, and we were told that because he has not been "sentenced" he is not yet technically "convicted". Thank you.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

He's in luck. He has not been technically convicted. In a deferred adjudication, even though he has attempted to enter a plea, the Judge withholds accepting the plea until the Defendant completes the probationary period and other Court requirements. Upon completion, the matter is dismissed, and there is no conviction.

Michael J, Esq. :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael