Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In Illinois, what is the legal ramifications for me as an adult,

to having consensual sexual...
In Illinois, what is the legal ramifications for me as an adult, to having consensual sexual relations with a 17 year old minor? Can I be charged criminally and be liable for sexual predator status?
8/2/2012
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello Jacustomer,

The age of consent in Illinois is 17, which means that Illinois state law would deem her old enough now to make up her mind as to whether she wanted to have sexual relations and with whom. So you would not have to worry about a statutory rape charge.

There is, however, one exception, which is if you are in a position of trust, authority, or supervision over the minor. So if you are a relative, a teacher, an employer, an athletic coach, for example, she would have to be 18 to consent to sex.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD