Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I want to overturn my conviction of 1995 already served. have

Customer Question
I want to overturn my...
I want to overturn my conviction of 1995 already served. have evidence of inocence in matter in discovery paperwork ie.. rape kit came back negitive hours after aleged crime,,my doughter ,didnt want to live by my rules and said i ,,had intercourse with her,, rape kit never was introduced as evedance ,served 7-14 yrs. want to reverse this .
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/2/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Is this evidence newly discovered evidence? Do you have any newly discovered evidence that was not available at the time you went to trial? Did you appeal the conviction back in 1995?
No it is ariginal evidence from hospital rape kit,,never entered i tryed to appeal but public deffenders wouldnt handle for me ,,and didnt have resoces to hire att. for appeal.
I am afraid that legally you would have to file a "Motion for Post Conviction Relief" and under the law in NH, post conviction relief after 1 year can be granted only if you have the discovery of new evidence that was not reasonably discoverable during trial. Thus, legally the court could not hear a post conviction petition without newly discovered evidence. If the alleged victim decides to recant their allegations, this would be grounds for filing the post conviction relief now. Absent any new evidence, I am afraid that legally your recourse here would be to file a petition for a pardon from the governor through the board of pardons and parole.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer