How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26819
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone is a criminal (?) or have been arrested for a DUI,

This answer was rated:

If someone is a criminal (?) or have been arrested for a DUI, can and where can you access records to prove that this is true?

The only way you will be able to reliably find out someone's criminal records is to access the state or national data base. Unfortunately, however, unless you are in litigation and a judge has signed a subpoena for someone else's criminal records, the only ones you are entitled to order are your own. While some criminal background may be public information and searchable via public records websites, much is not.

Commercial background searchers are frequently inaccurate because they rely only on the public record which is often wrong. THe police can run a check and private investigators would be able to get this done. If you have a friend who is a police officer, he might do you a favor. You would have to hire the public investigator, however.

If you know what state the crime likely took place in, you can Google the name of the state with "public criminal records," [ for example, "New York Public Criminal Records."], and you will get the sites where the state makes some of its records available. They may or may not be free. That will vary with the state.

Good luck!

Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you