JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

If a person was caught stealing and let go from the store and

If a person was caught stealing and let go from the store and was told that the local police would be contacting them for a court date to be charded and arraigned, how long do the courts have to charge this person under Michigan law?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify: what is the approximate value of the items at issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
under $1000.00 USD.
Thank you. XXXXX it's six years. They have six years to file charges.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow. I can not believe that they have that long to file charges against a person. I though that the courts had so many days to file charges against a person and arraign them. I am shocked that they have such a long time. Oh well, all we can do is wait and pray.
The criminal statute of limitations is set by state law. It's not a court rule matter. Different type of devil.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.