How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102184
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Texas minor who has a petty theft, fighting, profanity,

This answer was rated:

I am a Texas minor who has a petty theft, fighting, profanity, curfew violation, and minor in possession of tobacco on my record. All of this stuff is over 2 years old. I will soon be 17 and old enough to have pre-employment background checks run on me. Is there anything I can do as far as getting some of this stuff off of my record or at least sealed? I'm mainly worried about the theft misdemeanor. Please help me with anything I can do to pass these background checks
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can you please tell me how long it has been since your last conviction or discharge of adjudication for any criminal matter?

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1 year and 6 months

Thank you. You told me that all of this stuff is 2 years old, but now you tell me that it has been 1 year and 6 months.

I am guessing you mean that the CHARGE was from 2 years ago, and the adjudication/discharge was 1 year and six months ago, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the last charge is two years old however it was dismissed in court 1 year and 6 months ago.
It would probably help if I explained every situation. In 2007 I got in a fight in school and got a ticket which was dismissed right away. In 2008 I got caught with tobacco in school and received a minor in possession of tobacco ticket which I took a 2 hour class for and it was afterwards dismissed. Then I got a ticket for using profanity in school in 2009 and got 5 hours community service afterwards it was dismissed. I got a ticket for curfew violation and it was immediately dismissed in 2010. And lastly I got the petty theft ticket which was also immediately dismissed in 2011

Sorry for the wait - I stepped away for a moment. I am typing out your answer now.

So I have some good news - there is a way to redact said record. Tex. Fam. Code Sec. 58.003 allows you to file a petition once it has been two years since the last matter was discharged (so you have to wait 6 more months, I am afraid).

You'd have to show that since that time, for the 2+ years, you have been clean and had no charges or convictions of any kind. See here for the statute itself:

Your attorney or guardian has to file a PETITION TO SEAL with the Court and have the Judge hold a quick hearing on the matter. If you can show that you have reformed and your previous convictions were not major ones for things like murder or sexual abuse, the record is sealed. This can be done within one filing and one hearing, so it is relatively fast. I am even including the petition to file below (within the packet):

Apologies for the wait. REPLY if you need anything else - good luck!

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you