Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

State of Indiana. My friend wrecked a scooter and shattered

State of Indiana. My friend wrecked a scooter and shattered his femur. He has had a rod put in its place. He has been charged with felony OWI, previous conviction, habitual substance abuser. He is currently on probation for a previous OWI. He is currently hospitalized but there is talk of releasing him and having physical therapy come to his house daily. He is not able to walk without a walker.
Will the state removed him from the hospital or demand he turn himself in at his release? What are the odds of house arrest while his physical therapy is continued?
The odds of house arrest in this type of case are fairly high, since the prisons are not generally set up to provide such therapy. His attorney will have to petition the court for this and provide evidence of his medical needs and condition, but generally the court will approve the delay in him reporting to jail. The probation office will issue a warrant for probation violation on top of this arrest and he will again need to have his attorney motion the court to hold off on sentencing for the probation violation until he is capable of reporting to jail if the court decides to send him to jail for the probation violation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”