How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27625
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a former employee who was a bookkeeper who quite 6 weeks

This answer was rated:

I have a former employee who was a bookkeeper who quite 6 weeks ago form my company. I discovered she was signing checks in the name of one of my managers on a company account. The manager was her mother who also quit a week before her who we have discovered embezeled close to $10,000 from our company. I have two witnesses who said they saw our bookkeeper sign/forged the signature many times. Also the bookkeeper charged over $1000 of a personal expense on a company account that was unpaid and unauthorized.

Can you tell me what kind of action I can take against this bookkeeper?

Thank you, XXXXX

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I am sorry to hear about what they did. Both the book keeper and her mother, could face criminal charges for this theft, fraud and embezzlement. Based upon the amount of money taken and their involvement, they could be charged with felonies. This needs to be reported to the police and evidence of the theft should be taken with you, when you contact them and file a report, to support it. The police will likely investigate the matter and determine if there is a basis to arrest and charge them. The case would then be turned over to the State Attorney, to file charges. If charges are filed and they are found guilty at trial or take a plea deal, the State Attorney will likely seek restitution for you, so you can recover all the money taken plus any other damages which you suffered, as a result of their actions. In addition to having to pay everything back, they could face prison, jail, or probation, along with fines and other court costs. If for some reason you did not want to file criminal charges against them, you would have to file a civil lawsuit to collect but would then have to retain an attorney and it would place a heavier burden on you, to recover. If the State files charges, they will act on your behalf, since the crime was against the State of Florida and you are the victim.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

CrimDefense and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you