Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

if i make too much to qualify for a public defender on a criminal

Customer Question

if i make too much to qualify for a public defender on a criminal multiple felony case but actually cant afford an attorney, what are my rights?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Customer:

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Customer:

Are you online with me?

Have you explained your financial hardship and inability to hire a private attorney to the judge and filed a motion for the court to appoint a public defender to represent you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no. i was told i didn't qualify to apply by the public defence based o n making 10/hour.

Thank you for your follow up.

If you are only making $10 an hour and do not have any savings or other assets that can be sold in order to pay for a private criminal law attorney, you can file a motion with the court to appoint a public defender to you based on your financial hardship and inability to hire a private criminal defense attorney and the court will review your income and also will review whether you have any assets and if your income is $10 an hour and you don't have any savings or other assets, it is more than likely that public defender will be appointed to you by the court either free of charge or you might have to pay some very small reasonable fee based on your income and financial ability.
Do you have any related follow up questions?