Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

we recently found out that my 15 year old little sister has

we recently found out that my 15 year old little sister has been having sex with a 29 year old man and it is de vistating. in the state of Oklahoma is there anything we can do legally? we have sent her on a little trip out of state for a short while but I think he is planning to go to her

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. It is criminally illegal for a 29 year old to have sexual contact with a 15 year old in the state of Oklahoma under all circumstances, even if the 15 (or 14) year old "consented".

Brandon M. :

This is strictly a law enforcement matter, and your mother and sister were right to go to the police.

Brandon M. :

How long ago did they go to the police?

Customer:

just in the past week

Brandon M. :

Thank you. What was their response?

Customer:

they said the age was 14 but I think they filled out a report but nothing done

Brandon M. :

That frankly doesn't make any sense. The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16 years of age. Did they go to the police in person?

Customer:

yes and the police have been to my mothers because she has been having problems with her. she stole mothers car and was caught by police in middle of night at park with him and two others

Brandon M. :

There are two possibilities here. The first possibility is that your information is correct and the police have simply gotten the statute wrong. Incidentially, statutory rape is codified in Oklahoma under Penal Code §21-1111, and the age of consent is 16. If the police got it wrong, I would show them the statute and ask what exception they claim applies to this situation. If that didn't get results, I would contact the state attorney general's office, or possibly the FBI (in the event of corruption).

Brandon M. :

The second possibility is that you are working with bad information--the police did not turn her away based on her being age 14 or older. If that is the case, I can't help because I don't know why the case wasn't investigated--by definition, we wouldn't know.

Brandon M. :

So you need to find out why the police have not pursued this action. If it is their mistake, you may follow up as I suggested, or contact an attorney to do it for you.

Brandon M. :

If it is your mistake, you will need to learn the reason why before anything further can be done.

Customer:

O K you have been very helpful. thank-you sooooo much. I will tell my mom in the morning