How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33386
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1998 when I was 8 years old my 42 year old step father molested

This answer was rated:

In 1998 when I was 8 years old my 42 year old step father molested me. I told my mother what happened first and she yelled at me and called me a liar. Then I told my father what happened and he called the police and they all ended up in court. What they were going to charge him with was just indecent exposure to a minor, not his actual crime. I remember being interveiwed in a room full of stuffed animals but I never went into the actual courtroom. They dissmissed the case because of a "technicality" and he was not charged for anything and walked. My father has paid thousands of dollars for therapy and counciling for 10 years of my life. I would have prosecuted him as soon as I turned 18 but I joined the Army and was not able to. Now I am being released from active duty and I want to go back and take him back to court for his actual crime. The state is Arizona and there is no statute of limitations on child molestation. I know that I will probably be told that just my testimony is not enough, but how do you actually find physical evidence of child molestation in the first place? Some offenders aren't violent they are just sick and twisted. The only thing I possible could get on my side is that there was a little girl who was 13 and she would always come stay with me and my mom at his house and I know he was inappropirate with her but I only have her first name. I know she was also interveiwed and when the case file is pulled from the archives I can find her last name and possibly look for her. I don't know what exactly he did to her but I witnessed inappropriate behavior as well. I also have multiple family members that will testify on my behalf. My grandmother saw child pornography on his computer and got my mother to divorce him but never reported it and has nothing but her word to prove it. I cannot ask my mother about him because she did lose all contact with me by order of a judge after this case happened and I didnt see her again until I was 18 and shortly after that she died. I am now 22 years old and cannot have normal healthy relationships, I have anger issues and my mind has been completely in chaos for many many years. I will not be able to live a normal life knowing he walks happy and free. What I want is for him to go to jail and I want compensation for my legal fees and quite a bit more for the finantial and emotional harm he has caused me and my family. What can I do to make sure he pays for his crimes? Do I even have a chance?
You are correct in that there does not appear to be a statute of limitations for those actions so you can certainly pursue a civil case.

Unfortunately, the decision on whether or not to bring criminal charges doesn't reside with you, that is solely within the jurisdiction of the District Attorney and it is pretty late in the game to try and bring a criminal action with no physical evidence and no adult witnesses.

What you may want to do is file your civil lawsuit and use the discovery process in that to see if you can gather enough evidence to persuade the DA to press the criminal charges. You can read about how to use discovery proactively in an ebook available at

Using the discovery process you can find witnesses, gather documents, etc,

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you