How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27722
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

27 years ago I was arrested for a felony in Shelby county Tenn.

This answer was rated:

27 years ago I was arrested for a felony in Shelby county Tenn. The case was dismissed but I recently was turned down for a weapons permit in Ca. because of the felony arrest. There was no conviction, I served no time, no probation, parole, nor even paid a fine. I was told by a clerk over the phone that the case was dismissed but I can't seem to find anything official to present to the Ca. DOJ. What do I do?
Hi Jacustomer,

You could order an official copy of your RAP sheet. You could either get it from Tennessee or from the FBI. The dismissal should appear. If it does not you'd need to contact the court where your case was pending and find out who you'd see about an official court document showing the diposition of your case. You'd probably want to have a lawyer get it on your behalf. Might be cheaper than flying to and from Tennessee. Armed with that, you'd have some basis to appeal the denial.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX called the county court clerk, they said that my case was "held to state". They said that meant that it went up to the state level (?). They then trans ferred me to that office. That clerk said that it was dismissed. What court system is it if it's not the county? I've tried locating a state court but get no results when I search with the indictment # XXXXX they gave me. It's all dead ends.