How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33761
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter was arrested 5/2008 and spent the night in jail.

This answer was rated:

my daughter was arrested 5/2008 and spent the night in jail. She went before the judge and she sentenced my daughter to a year of probabtion. She was twenty. My question is when can she stop saying that she has been convicted of this on applications?
Did she get a deferred adjudication or a regular conviction? Did he have a lawyer? What was she convicted of?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure. She was arrested for smoking marijuana at the apt The Grove in Las Cruces. 15 kids there only three (including my daughter) were taken to jail. She doesn't know why she was one of the ones taken to jail. She spent the night and saw the judge in jail. A bunch of people were taken to a room and the judge sentenced them to one year supervised probabtion. She went into the court house once a month for three months to check in. Then she called in the rest of the months. She also attended two classes on drugs. She did not call us (her parents) and did not have a lawyer. Possenion (not spelled correctly) of marijuana.
Convictions stay on the record forever unless they are expunged or a pardon is granted.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing anything in the country records. What you may want to do is hire a lawyer to look at the paperwork in her case and see if it was a regular conviction or a deferred adjudication. Once you find that out, which should be pretty cheap, you can talk to them about how to clear the record. It may be anywhere from fairly simple to extremely complicated depending on what type of conviction she has.

However, until the conviction is cleared she would always have to state that she has a conviction if the question is asked. It would be a misdemeanor conviction, but still a conviction of a criminal offense.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much. I appreciate how quickly you answered and so truthfullly.
You're quite welcome and best wishes to you and your daughter. I know it is hard on a parent and she now regrets not contacting you first.

Please don't forget to leave a positive review!
Dwayne B. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you