Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got a 5th degree theft charge and forgot about court so of

Customer Question
course consequences of my actions...
I got a 5th degree theft charge and forgot about court so of course consequences of my actions there is now a warrant. Im a single parent of a 7yr old boy and i have no babysitter at all! his dad lives in wyoming im scared to turn myself in cuz theyll keep me and i have no where for my son to go. what do i do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/17/2012
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify:

1. When was the court date that was missed?

2. How much is the bond on your warrant?

3. Have you hired a criminal defense attorney?
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Do you still seek information from JustAnswer?

Did you receive my earlier request for information?

~~JB
court date was like a month ago and it didnt say a bond amount when i went on iowa courts online. i dont know. i cant afford an attorney. didnt know if i needed one or if this is something i just get a fine for.
Thank you. Please clarify:

1. What was the court date for?

2. Have you already been sentenced on the theft charge? Please let me know how far you have gone on that case?

~~JB
for 5th degree theft and i forgot about it i didnt go. havent been sentenced on the charge yet. it did say bond $300 cash/surity what does that mean i got to pay 300 to get out can i use bailbondsman? and what do i do with my son while im in jail i mean will the jusge understand and not make me stay in jail
Thank you.

You can go to court, pay the $300 bond and get a new court date. If you post the bond, you won't get locked up. That's the point of bond.

You can use a bondsman if you want but it'd be better if you just pay the $300 to the court because then your cash bond can be applied to your fines and costs when you're sentenced on your case.

You see, if you use a bondsman, all the money is kept by the bondsman (you'll have nothing going to fines and costs).

In other words, in the long run, it's cheaper for you to just post the $300 with the court.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer