JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

when someone is arrested and takin to jail, how long do they

Customer Question

when someone is arrested and takin to jail, how long do they have to charge them? And if they dont have any charges on them how long are they legally allowed to keep them detained?And is there some kind of code i can say as a right to release this person because they have not charged them?

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

As a general matter (unless the prosecutor can show unique and justifiable circumstances), an arrested person must be arraigned by the judge within 48 hours of arrest. This principle was established by the U.S. Supreme Court in County of Riverside v. McLaughlin, 500 U.S. 44 (1991).

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB