How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to revoke a "condition of bond"?

This answer was rated:

Is there a way to revoke a "condition of bond"?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify:

1. Are you the defendant or a witness to the matter?

2. What is the condition that you want revoked?

3. Why do you want it revoked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I would be the witness. My boyfriend has ptsd and had an incident that was out of character. The state pressed felony domestic assault by strangulation. I pleaded with the DA to drop the charges, but they pursued and as a condition of his bond he was ordered to have no contact with me. I want it revoked because this issue is being blown way out of proportion, he needs help, but not a felony on his record. He is not an abusive person at all, he just had a war flashback and did something out of character.
Thank you. When is the next court date scheduled for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
August 6th. The incident happened June 20th.
Thank you. And will you go to court on August 6? And does your boyfriend have an attorney?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is using a court appointed lawyer. I tried to pay for a lawyer because I thought that would look better, but he was afraid that would look bad so he refused it, but I kept the lawyer I hired for myself just in case. I haven't been notified that I am supposed to appear in court, but I plan on going.
Thank you. Bond is a matter that can be reviewed at any time by the court.

Your boyfriend/defendant, through his attorney, can file a written motion asking the judge to change the conditions of bond. He can do this now if he wants to try to have the judge make the change before the August 6 court date. Or, he can wait until August 6 and verbally make the motion then. The benefit of waiting until August 6 is that you will also be in the courtroom and the judge can ask you any questions to verify whether or not you agree with the request and whether or not you have any fear of him.

The answer to your question is: yes, the conditions of bond can be changed. It can be done by the defendant's attorney asking the judge for the change. That can be done in writing, or verbally at the next court date.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you